History & Heritage
Southall Manor House built
Brunel's Great Western Railway Company opened
Parish of Southall established
Gasworks constructed by Brentford Gas Company
Southall Water Tower built
Southall Film Studios opens
Gas Manholder built on-site
Large numbers of people from India and Pakistan settled in Southall
Gasworks ceases to operate
Southall Big Plan is published. Berkeley acquires the 88 acre Southall Gasworks site working with the Greater London Authority, London Borough of Ealing, National Grid and the London Borough of Hillingdon
Masterplan works commence on-site
Commenced Western access bridges, roads & utilities and affordable homes
In conjunction with West London College, The Berkeley Academy & West London Construction Academy opened on-site
A Place For All
Berkeley are driven by an ambition to create a unique and spectacular destination in West London, unlocking part of the city like never before. Mixing vibrant cosmopolitan with a strong sense of community and green living, this will be London as its very best.
Transforming a disregarded brownfield site into a new vibrant village requires careful planning. Since purchasing the development from the National Grid in 2014, Berkeley have significantly enhanced the masterplan.
How? By creating three hubs:
- Community hub - Bringing together a community and educational offering which borders a relaxed residential area sitting alongside the Grand Union Canal.
- Convenience hub - Providing local amenities and facilities.
- Commercial hub - Blending residential, retail and leisure uses whilst in close proximity to the Crossrail station and complementing the existing High Street.
As a place 'For All' Berkeley will ensure the development creates strong links with the existing community. How?
- Connecting surrounding streets from the north.
- Constructing new footbridges from the 90-acre Minet Country Park to the west of the development across the Grand Union Canal.
- Opening bus routes.
- Situating the school on the north side to act as an interface between the existing community and the development.
- Creating new cycle and fitness trails.
Southall Waterside will provide:
- 3,750 high quality new homes
- Phase A will comprise 49% affordable housing
- Up to half of the development will comprise open green space for all to enjoy
- 2 new parks
- 2 footbridges created to open up 90 acres of Minet Country Park
- 1km of canalside living
An Evolving Place
- A cinema
- Restaurants and retail facilities
- A health centre
- A community centre
- A primary school and nursery
- A hotel
- The introduction of two new bus services into the development
- A central park connecting the development to the forthcoming Crossrail station